Sculpture: The Medium is the Message
- Instructor: Justin R. Thompson
- Department: Fine Arts
- Area: 3D and 4D
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 90
- Course Number (SRISA): SART 4401
- Course Number (Maryville University): ART 397-70
- Prerequisite: Foundation fine arts courses such as 2D and 3D design.
This course is designed to engage students in the exploration of contemporary sculpture focusing on the conceptual weight of materials matched with the technical capacity to render in non-traditional sculptural mediums ranging from fiber and textiles to found materials. Contemporary Sculpture is possibly the widest of all art forms with its envelopment of any existent material and this course will explore numerous approaches to informing sculptural work with the capacity to carry meaning through the materials and methods employed.