- Instructor: Pietro Gaglianò
- Department: Fine Arts
- Area: 3D and 4D
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 90
- Course Number (SRISA): SART 3402
- Course Number (Maryville University): TBA
- Prerequisite: The course is open to all students, ready to get involved in shared creative experience, to discover new expression means – neither dance or theatre talents nor athletic attitudes are required, but the availability to use body in warming up sessions will
This studio art course is dedicated to the aesthetics and the practice of performance. Although a studio course, there will be a strong theoretical aspect which aims to outline a historical and cultural framework that shows how performance art was born and traces how we comprehend the practice today. The aim of which is to better understand how this special, all-embracing art language will be understood in the future. Physical activities along with actions involving individual exploration of public space are fundamental to the creative process. Performance art needs bodies, it needs space, it needs action, it needs an audience. Students will come away from this course with a strong knowledge of these fundamental ideas.
SRISA studio courses will have personal and course materials to be purchased in Florence. Unless otherwise specified there is no need to bring consumable supplies with you. On the first day of class your professor will inform you of materials needed and where to get them in Florence.