- Instructor: Andrew Smaldone
- Department: Fine Arts
- Area: Painting and Drawing
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 90
- Course Number (SRISA): SART 3202
- Course Number (Maryville University): ART 311
- Prerequisite: Drawing I, Beginning Painting, Painting II
In this advanced studio course, students will be working to obtain a sense of professionalism and excellence in painting. Students will be asked to work with ideas in painting that relate to both figuration and abstraction in order to better understand current contemporary artistic practices. Through rigorous study both in the studio and outside the classroom students will complete project-based works involving conceptual and visual stages that lead to resolved pieces. In addition, students will be asked to consider how painting relates to conceptual works in installation and/or assemblage.
SRISA studio courses will have personal and course materials to be purchased in Florence. A complete list will be provided with the syllabus on the first day of class.