- Instructor: Andrew Smaldone
- Department: Fine Arts
- Area: Painting and Drawing
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 90
- Course Number (SRISA): SART 3201
- Course Number (Maryville University): ART 310
- Prerequisite: Beginning Painting, Color Strategies
In this intermediate painting studio course, students will conduct individually based research in order to gain a full understanding of painting and will be asked to reflect on the broader implications of the medium itself. Through rigorous study both in the studio and outside the classroom students will complete project-based works involving conceptual and visual stages that lead to resolved pieces. In addition, theory will also be emphasized as a means to create a body of work that addresses students’ critical concerns inherent to their art practice and overall process.
SRISA studio courses will have personal and course materials to be purchased in Florence. Unless otherwise specified there is no need to bring consumable supplies with you. On the first day of class your professor will inform you of materials needed and where to get them in Florence.