- Department: Fine Arts
- Areas: Special Programs Design, Special Programs Fine Arts, Special Programs Liberal Arts
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 45
- Course Number (SRISA): 4900
- Course Number (Maryville University): ART 496
- Prerequisite: Completion of Independent Study form and approval by the SRISA Director.
An independent study takes place outside the regular classroom environment and is the advanced study of a topic of particular interest to the student in any of the SRISA Departments: Fine Arts, Liberal Arts, Design. It requires a faculty advisor who will periodically consult with the student, evaluate the result of the projects and submit the final grade. An independent study must not be equivalent in content to courses offered at SRISA. It is expected that students create and develop a study or production schedule for their projects and that they are prepared to devote a minimum of 3 clock hours of work per week (45 clock hours per semester) for each credit award to be awarded. Students are required to begin developing their project ideas and completing their independent study form before the add/drop period ends. The faculty advisor must approve the proposed project by signing the form. The completed form must be presented to the Director.