Discovering Florence: Culture and Lifestyle of its Neighborhoods
- Instructor: Angelo Persichilli
- Department: Liberal Arts
- Areas: Italian Studies, Psychology and Sociology
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 45
- Course Number (SRISA): SOCI 3203
- Course Number (Maryville University): PSYC 349
This course aims to give an insight into Florentine society through historical and socio-cultural analysis of its neighborhoods, traditions, problems and daily life with markets, crafts, sports and folkloric events.
Special attention will be given to the analysis of modern social structure and the effects of tourism. Local organizations working in the area to make Florence a welcoming, friendly city that is attentive to new energy resources will also be analyzed.
The final part of the course will show the nightlife of the Medici city with its lights and shadows.