Advanced Book Arts
- Instructor: Patricia Silva
- Department: Fine Arts
- Area: Printmaking and Book Arts
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 90
- Course Number (SRISA): SART 4302
- Course Number (Maryville University): ART 455
- Prerequisite: No prerequisites are required. However, drawing and painting experience is beneficial to the understanding of the course content.
This course is intended for intermediate and advanced book arts students. In addition to learning three to four new book structures, students will be given more complex projects and variations of structures learned in past semesters. More emphasis will be given to craftsmanship and creativity in completed projects. In the second half of the course, students will propose and complete a book or series of books that will be completed by the end of the semester. In addition to the final book project, students must complete research in an area of book arts to integrate into their final project. This research may be on ancient manuscripts studying calligraphy, illuminated manuscripts, ancient binding structures, typographic research or other areas relating to book arts.
SRISA studio courses will have personal and course materials to be purchased in Florence. A complete list will be provided with the syllabus on the first day of class.