Abnormal Psychology (ISI)
- Department: Liberal Arts
- Area: Psychology and Sociology
- Credit Hours: 3, Contact Hours: 45
- Course Number (SRISA): PSYC 4103
- Course Number (Maryville University): TBA
Abnormal psychology refers to the study of behaviors and mental illnesses that are unusual and atypical. It primarily deals with major mental and behavioral disorders, or conditions and illnesses that detract from an individual’s mental, emotional, and behavioral health, which negatively affects or limits their life experience. This course will be divided into two parts. The first part, which will be about 30% of the course, will examine basic concepts and definitions, historical perspectives, theoretical models, and research methods for studying mental disorders. The remaining 70% will examine the leading categories of mental disorders in adults, including the leading description and classification, theories and evidence explaining their origins, assessment, and some treatment options.
This course runs through SRISA's partners at ISI.